Monday, September 24, 2007

The Bottom Line = Nexus


Nexus is a terrific comic by writer Mike Baron and artist Steve Rude about troubled intergalactic assassin Horatio Hellpop, who is driven to execute criminals by a higher power (and somewhat against his will).

The series first appeared in the late 1980's and has jumped from publisher to publisher over the intervening years. Nexus has been justifiably critically acclaimed and earned true cult status among many comics fans.

Now, after a decade long break, Nexus has recently returned with a new issue which was its 99th in chronological order. As of today, the comics world has been informed that the 100th issue will be delayed and resolicited for January 2008.

I'm so sorry, but that is BULLSHIT!

I've been a fan of this series from its inception and followed it on its bouncing ball trajectory existence. The Dude wants to pass off the delay as being due to his "perfectionism" , perhaps a better description would be lack of professionalism.

Steve Rude counts Jack Kirby as one of his artistic idols. Jack turned out tons of work over the course of his career and it was always entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I've met the Dude at cons, I think he's a nice guy, but he's no Jack Kirby and I'm done with Nexus. The latest issue just didn't grab me after the extended hiatus and this latest tactic has eroded my support for the team of Baron, Rude & Hellpop.
That's too,bad!

No comments: